Teachers: dr. Miljenko Huzak, professor, dr. Inga Urlić, associate professor
The main objective of the course is to introduce to students the several growth models of tumours based on differential equations and to give a better mathematical explanation and understanding of the proposed models.
Upon completion of this course, students are going to be able to:
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the foundational concepts of cancer biology.
- Understand the processes of tumour growth and factors that affect the tumour growth.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of basics of mathematical modelling of tumour growth.
- Communicate correctly using scientific terminology in regard to cancer biology.
- Cancer – types, impact on society, mathematics and tumours.
- Biological study of models – types of growing, proliferation and quiescence, cytotoxic and cytostatic drugs, angiogenesis, invasion and metabolism.
- Mathematical study of models – growth models: deterministic and stochastic, diffusion models.
- Mathematical modelling of tumour growth.